Friday, February 2, 2007

Paranoid

Are you paranoid if they are really out to get you?


Alex is only four, but last week I was pretty sure the age of innocence was over.

My sweet bright-eyed son had been called to the principal’s office.

Well, actually, not the principal's office, as Pooh's Corner Daycare doesn't have a principal.

But they do have a trio of BCDCS Level II Early Childhood Cognitive Development Co-ordinators (or something like that), which sounds even scarier.

So anyway, when I went to pick up my rosy-cheeked son the other day, I was told to be at the school the following Thursday "to discuss Alex."

It was as though my family doctor just told me to come in as soon as possible to discuss my prostate--even best case scenario, you know it's going to be awkward and uncomfortable and might even hurt.

When I arrived at the Pooh's Corner I was greeted by a woman I had never met before who was armed with a huge stack of papers.

Alex's three BCDCS II ECCDC's (from here on they will be called babysitters) were seated behind.

"So, what's up?" I asked, with the same apprehension I use when I talk to cops who have just pulled me over for speeding.

"Nothing," said the briefcase lady who, it turns out, was just a really nice public health nurse.

"We just like to touch bases with parents once a year to see if they have any questions or
concerns about their child or the program."

And that was it--no panic, not trouble, just a regular old meeting.

It turns out Alex is completely normal and actually well behaved.

No comments: