Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Talking "The Talk"

I was waiting until my son was 10, maybe 12, before having "The Talk."

My wife and I had even talked about having "The Talk," (a talk-Talk as it were.)

Anyway, we figured, when the time came to explain the birds and bees, we'd spare no expense.
Lisa was, after all, a former labour and delivery nurse who had access to a huge supply of fake ovaries, uteruses, vaginas and fetuses.

So, when Alex came up to Lisa and me the other day and asked about babies, we were floored.

Although Lisa and I had talked about how we'd handle the situation, we never actually discussed what we would tell him.

I guess we always figured there'd be time enough to discuss it in the future.

But nope, here we were, sitting at the dinner table, drinking coffee and reading the paper, when Alex came running in and asked: "Where do babies come from?"

Lisa looked at me and mouthed “Go ahead.”

I started: “Well, uh, there's. . . .there’s this special place inside mommy. . . .

"That’s what I told them,” he interrupted and ran back outside to his friends.

I looked at Lisa.

“Well that was easy,” she said and turned back to The Province.

Little does she know she’s going to be the one giving the rest of “The Talk” the next time he asks.

No comments: